The 2018 SLA Leadership Symposium-the eagerly anticipated in-person addition to SLA's professional development programming-will provide SLA members relevant, quality educational leadership training, in conjunction with a revised unit leader training.
Held at the DoubleTree by Hilton New Orleans in January 2018, the Leadership Symposium features two separate components of focused leadership training. Symposium attendees should register for one of two options:
Option 1: Leadership Exploration and Development (LEAD)
Sunday, January 28 to Monday, January 29
Who should attend?
- All SLA members who lead in their workplaces-whether reflected by an official job title or not-are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Aspiring leaders seeking to develop their leadership potential are also invited and encouraged to participate.
LEAD is an is an interactive, engaging, and action-oriented program focused on real-world outcomes and designed to inspire and develop successful leadership. This portion of the symposium will help you:
- Identify tools and skills required to be a more effective leader.
- Learn best practices to put to use right away.
- Become empowered to lead by example at work.
- Create a plan for success back on the job customized to your individual strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Exchange ideas with peers in-person-and once you've returned to work, be able to consult a brand new network of fellow leaders in the profession.
Leadership can-and does-happen at all levels of organizations. LEAD will equip you with new skills and help you harness strengths you may not realize you already have.
View an overview of the schedule for LEAD. More detailed information will be added to the schedule as it becomes available.
Program Cost: $265
Option 2: LEAD + SLA Unit and Volunteer Leader Training
Sunday, January 28 to Tuesday, January 30
Who should attend?
- Individuals who serve in volunteer leadership roles in any of SLA's chapters, divisions, and caucuses should attend.
- Both longstanding and emerging SLA unit leaders will take away new insights for more effective and efficient leadership.
SLA Unit and Volunteer Leader Training will set you up for success as you serve within SLA as a volunteer leader-regardless of your role. Topics on the agenda include the following:
- Tips for using SLA Connect to improve unit communication and outreach
- Strategic ideas for member engagement and succession planning
- Governance guidelines and recommendations for unit structure and organization
View an overview of the schedule of SLA Unit and Volunteer Leader Training. More detailed information will be added to the schedule as it becomes available.
Program Cost: $390
SLA Advisory Council, Committee, Cabinet, and Group Meetings
SLA Advisory Councils, Committees, and other groups will hold meetings at the 2018 Leadership Symposium. Chapter and Division Cabinets will hold a "Meet-and-Greet" with Cabinet Board liaisons. The meetings, each scheduled for one hour, will be held Sunday afternoon, January 28, 2018, at the DoubleTree by Hilton New Orleans. The meeting schedule can be found here.
View a detailed schedule of Leadership Symposium events and activities. More detailed information will be added to the schedule as it becomes available.
2018 SLA Leadership Symposium events and activities will be held at DoubleTree by Hilton New Orleans.
SLA has secured a special hotel room rate at the DoubleTree Hotel in New Orleans for Leadership Symposium attendees.
To discuss unique sponsorship opportunities for the 2018 SLA Leadership Symposium, email Kathy Bradley, VP of fundraising & partnerships, or call 703-647-4900.
Sunday, January 28, 2018
Other Dates For This Event:View All Dates
Contact:SLA Learning & Success
Cost:Full reg $390; Two day $265
Save this Event:iCalendar
Windows Live Calendar
Share this Event:Email to a Friend